I’m still surprised at how few videos on YouTube are optimized for search. Has no one Googled “YouTube Optimization Tips” before? I’m not referring to the stupid stunts, or cute cat videos our fellow citizens of the world are uploading just for the fun of it. No, I’m referring to businesses and organizations that have money invested in their online platforms, and hopefully have mapped to ROI goals. However, I digress.
Therefore, I thought I would share some YouTube Optimization Tips, that you can utilize quickly and that will immensely aid in your overall SEO strategy efforts. I will break the tips down by channel and video so you can quickly grab-and-go as needed.
YouTube Optimization Tips for your YouTube Channel
- Upload a properly sized logo to your About section
- Add links in the About section to your:
b) All Online properties (Ex: Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.)
- Add Channel tags to your account.
a) Select 3 – 5 keywords that you want people to be able to find you for.
b) This will also aid the search engines in properly contextualizing your presence online and your video content. Thus making it more realistic your content will be served up in search engines results.
- Add Featured Channels.***
a) By adding links to other like-minded businesses/organizations/individuals’ YouTube channels you will increase the awareness for your videos/playlists/channel with them, and increase the likelihood they will share your videos with their online communities.
*** Always check with your Legal Department before adding Featured Channels. Sometimes there are legal ramifications in doing so. I’ve always believed it’s easier and better for you in the long run if you ask permission not forgiveness with them.
YouTube Optimization Tips for your Videos
- Always optimize a video’s title and description for search.
- Place a link to your website in the first paragraph of your video’s description so people viewing it, will see it above the fold.
- Make sure to categorize your videos using tags.
- Transcribe your videos and add the .txt file to each video when you upload it.
a) This will not only aid in the search engines being able to index your videos better, but
will also aid in helping them be more accessible to those internet users utilizing a
- If you have the budget and time, conduct online niche pitching for each video and playlist
I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions or have any other useful items to add to either YouTube Optimization Tips list.